Saturday, March 19, 2011

weekend watching: west side story








I just watched the 1961 movie adaptation of West Side Story. I've never seen the stage show, but I really enjoyed this movie. Definitely a must see for fans of musicals. The choreography and the classic songs are absolutely terrific (I tracked down the soundtrack CD right after watching this!). West Side Story won 10 Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Costume Design. It seems that I can't watch an old movie without paying close attention to what they're wearing, and I loved all the 50s outfits here! For some reason it wasn't any of the main cast's outfits that stood out to me (although they were all great), but it was actually one of the side character's: Velma's (the blonde) tiered light blue dress. It's not a particular style that I'd usually like, but that sassy Velma was totally working that dress during the dance scene. "Ooo-beelee-oo..."

Have you seen West Side Story? Or have you seen a stage production of it?