Monday, May 7, 2012

LIFE | Koninginnedag - Queensday

Photobucket

Photobucket

Queensday is my absolute favorite holiday. On April 30 we celebrate the birthday of our Queen with open air parties and fleamarkets. On that day of the year no licence is required to sell; the result is that thousands of people go out on the streets to display their junk on a blanket and make a buck, little girls sell cupcakes and bands are playing on every corner. The streets of Amsterdam become absolutely crammed with people dressed in orange, if you didn't know better you'd think we just won a big football match. For me, it's the biggest treasure hunt of the year, I've found the best stuff on Koninginnedag, like my 90's platform boots and a 1980s Chanel watch a couple of years ago.

This year I only bought two items. It doesn't mean I wasn't successfull. Less is more. I decided to be more selective in what I brought back to my closet and only buy absolute gems; things that fit me, that are not broken, or that need too much tweeking. I got this white leather bag for €1,50 and the 90s highwaisted Fendi jeans for €1!