Saturday, January 8, 2011

DIY | Hair-on Purse

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hair on leather, goat hair purses and jackets that have blown my mind plus my obsession with hair resulted in this project.
I created a new hairy friend, the perfect piece to give any outfit an odd touch. It could come right out of Morticia Adam’s wardrobe.


What you’ll need to make one is
-45 minutes
-a boxy leather flap purse. (I used an old vintage one that, as you can see, was already a bit damaged)
-one package of short human hair strands (for sale at wig supply shops, also online or on ebay)
-Glue (you can also use needle and thread. I tried it but the leather of my purse was in a very bad condition)
*Optional, I also added a golden chain to the strap. I felt all that hair needed some hardware to not look too much like a wig on a strap.

Photobucket

What you are going to do is glue on ‘rows’ of hair on your purse starting at the bottom. Depending on how large your purse is and how much hair you have to cover it with decide on how much space you are going to leave in between each row. I left about 2 cm between each.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Measure how long your next row is going to be, cut the hair to the right size and glue it on your purse. You’re going to be left with some short left over pieces of hair. Use those for the lower rows, or the rows on the back of the purse. Be sure to save some entire strands for the top of the purse, because those are going to be visible.

Go on gluing the rows upwards until you reach the top. Then glue the last two in the same direction at the back and make the hair go over the top.(see image that the hair looks like it’s flipped from that back to the front) You can even style it into shape with a straightening iron.


Photobucket